2017/01/12

sem one, done.



Hello there.

Phew, semester one of my degree life has ended. It feels so good to be home alhamdulillah. I actually have so many things to blog about and finally, I've got plenty time to do so /sengih sampai telinga/ I waited for moments like this since the beginning of semester, and so glad it's over now *giggling*

This semester to put it in a world would be... tiring. Very tiring. That Saturday evening after Asar (the day exam ended), I sat beside Nabilah and we talked about how time actually flies. Me being a cry baby as usual, I... cried. I'm so emotional that the semester has come to an end. The syllabus, the people, the environment, all come in one package, it was a hella ride. It was challenging for me. 

When I received the offer letter from UM, never cross in my mind it would be this hard. I remember writing a letter to my future self (yes, I do this kind of stuff lol), I wrote for only half way because I thought that "alah, takkanla first semester susah sangat. Next sem kita tulis". What was I thinking? hahaha, adoi. I was totally wrong. It's the first semester me, who needed that letter the most. Too bad, tak habis tulis pun. I'm so so so glad that I was able to go through with the help and motivation from supportive family and friends. Also am thankful to Allah who grants me strength and ease my task.


Studies.
This semester, I registered seven subjects; 4 law subjects, 3 university courses. 4 law subjects namely Contract  I, Tort I, Legal Method and Malaysian Legal System. As for university courses, the subjects were Information Literacy, TITAS and Ethnic Relation. Basically, university courses are courses that you have to sit for the exam for the sake of graduating extra knowledge and skills. All in all, no biggie for the uni courses. The subjects were fine. Except when it comes to group work. The group members were mostly random because we all came from different faculty. So I had an experience working with engineering (mechanical & software) students and also those from the social science faculty. Of course, there were ups and downs. The downs would be during the process of preparing the slides and video for TITAS, as for ER it was during the video presentation itself. And of course, we learn from our downfall aite?

I learned a lot throughout the process. To be honest, never in my life have I worked in a team which the members took group assignments lightly. I will never understand the mindset "oh this isn't a core subject, so it's okay, don't have to beria sangat". Alahai. I pity those who have this kind of mentality. Be it uni courses or core courses, knowledge is knowledge. I understand that uni courses can be a burden sometimes, I sighed and complained too (yela tutorial tak siap lagi, law subjects tak habis cover, tapi kena kejar due date assignment uni courses- gilaaaa tak serabut). But then again, these subjects are my escape from facts and heavy materials that sometimes, my mind really needs a break from legal jargons. I learned to appreciate these subjects. I also learned to expect less and to give more. All this while, I've always been that girl who puts a high expectation when it comes to tasks given; be it an individual or a group work; I'll always make sure that I give my very best. But that's the thing. Not everyone wills to do the same, so you got to expect less to hurt less later. I also learned to be more sincere, more patient (it was hard for me to hold myself back from cursing and not crying tsktsk), and less emotional when it comes to teamwork. Really maaan, you gotta be sincere of the work and time you invest so when the outcome does not satisfy you, at least sincerity will make you feel better. The power of faith. Bingo.

Here's the climax. Law subjects /giggles/ ok kena gelak sikit sebab nak cover perasaan cuak result final exam. Law subjects were difficult. Hm, I didn't expect it to be any less easy honestly. But during the beginning of the semester, I aimed to not only pass but to score with flying colours. but now all that I want is to pass all papers HAHAHA haih look at what law school has done to me :( The subjects are hard, unbearable at the first instance you read but fine after awhile. And this is the best thing about the subjects, they are all interesting! (to me la) I think that's the x-factor which inspires me to study law. Aish sounds nerdy as hell but I do, I really do. I enjoyed completing my tutorial, going to lecture, hm bet the readers feel like puking after reading this hahaha I'm sorry, I can be a geek at times. Did I tell you that my roommate is from science & maths department? Oh God. Looking at her dealing with the algebras and numbers, I would rather write for two hours non-stop (mind you, I proved it during the examination haha!) There were times when  I felt like quitting because it was hard. But of course, they were merely words. I said it, but my heart refused to give it up. Hence, I grow stronger.

Let's talk about the final exam. Overall, it was so-so. Some papers were bearable, some were difficult but none of the papers were easy. Hahaha /cry/  I didn't know how to put it in words but let's together hope and pray that I don't have to repeat any of the papers, I just want to pass. Back then in asasi, I always thought that the seniors were exaggerating about LLB is a real struggle and headache to many.  Sorry for thinking that you guys were lying sobs. Now only I feel the pain. It's true. It's difficult, I must say it. But tho it's hard, that's the beauty of it. If I were to go back and choose between law and something else or UM and other universities, I would still choose the path I chose five months ago. Now, this brings the memory of a conversation I had with Unee. We were on the bus on our way to the faculty, "Kalau boleh putar balik masa, kau masuk UiTM tak? (the other offer besides UM was UiTM)" A gap of silence before I answered "Tak".  Like what they said, struggling means you're living, you're on the right path. Hopefully, I am. Aamin.


Environment
When I was in my lower secondary, I was in a sekolah harian of mix races. However, the only non-Malays in my class were only four Indian friends of mine. No Chinese. Then, I went to MRSM Taiping for my upper secondary. After SPM, I pursued the UiTM law foundation . Again, all bumiputras just like back then in Taiping. I know right! I am always surrounded by my own people. That's one of the reasons why I chose to be here. Hamagad, teringat pula interview UM. I mentioned this fact to the interviewers (and guess what, one of the interviewers was my Contract I lecturer *black moon emoji*)

So my batch is the 45th batch consists of mix races from all over Malaysia. They are all nice people, geniuses, and opinionated people. I'm from Atkin tutorial group. My classmates are all so baik, I love each of them so much. Macam exaggerate kan tapi I'm not kidding. This is the truth. When I heard others complaining about their tutorial mates, I knew that  I'm blessed with the current classmates I have.  They are very helpful, hard working, not kiasu and willing to be there for one another especially when it comes to syllabus. Argh, I want to cry now, I love my classmates (psssstsss qausar stop jangan over please) Let me tell you something. Kalau you ada cooperative classmates who are not kiasu, you're going to go through your law school much easier. Seriously. Now this reminds me of a conversation I shared with Asha. "Rizq, you tahu tak I'm so grateful for our classmate tau. Semua orang tak kiasu. Kalau nak minta tolong or tanya soalan, ada je yang offer to help" my reply was  of course, "KAAAAAAAAAANNNN" and we were in the library..... so guess how many eyes were on me? many.

I stay inside the campus- in KK12, the largest among other colleges. The facilities are okay, there foods are also okay and there are so many- western, nasi campur, goreng goreng panas, burgers, cheese naan, kuih, fishballs, desserts like waffles, ice creams, and cakes. It's like a food court la, basically. Talk about the place where I sleep, my room consists of me and my only roommate, Amirah. She's a stats student from Science & Maths department, Science faculty. She loves numbers while I don't at all hahaha. We are close yet independent, I don't cling to her neither she. She understands me well; she gave me space when I needed it the most and always lift me up when I'm down. She also reminds me to turn back to Allah when things get rough. I am blessed with her presence, syukur Alhamdulillah.


Friends
I gained a lot of new acquaintance this semester. There are some I just met in UM, some I've known from UiTM but become closer when in here and of course, I still keep my Atans around (the ones from UM and other universities as well). I am blessed with my small precious circle of friends. They are my semester one survival kit (hopefully until the final semester (lamanya lagiiii) InsyaAllah).

Alah I nak kenalkan sorang sorang tapi takut ada yang terasa nanti sebab iolz banyak kawan kekeke, nahh just kidding. Well, you know who you are. I thank God every time I see your face, dear friends. I'm so thankful that they choose to stick by my side, accept and help me to improve my flaws, motivate me when I feel down, dan terima lawak lawak saya yang definitely kelakar (I know they secretly fancy me because I'm so funny and interesting kuikuikui okay I better stop now). Really, I'm so grateful for them. Eternally grateful ya rabb.




Overall, I think it wasn't really about the syllabus that made it difficult. But the fact that it's the first semester, the beginning of the degree's life. We struggled, trying to fit in, adapting in this new place. You see. It's okay to make mistakes and to be bitter about it sometimes. But, don't forget to move on and to not lose focus on the chances, opportunities and blessings that God has granted. Treasure the ups and the downs 'cause you need both to shape you. Indeed, my first semester was very challenging, yet it was bitter sweet enough to keep it as a memory that I'm going to cherish later in a few years.

Alhamdulillah. I am so happy. and grateful. Thank you, Lord.

Till the next post. Chow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rambling about: my right foot

Tomorrow, 19.12.2022, is my first day of work as a corporate in house counsel.  It feels pretty surreal. Nerve-wrecking too. I've been i...